Summer Styling Home and/or Away - My Top 7 Summer Wardrobe Heroes
I always find summer dressing far more difficult than any other season. At the weekend I had a good delve in my wardrobe and pulled out some absolute classic gems that I had forgotten I had – I love it when this happens – and with some clever styling, I can make these wardrobes classics look bang up to date.
This got me thinking about sharing my 7 key summer wardrobe essentials. My mantra is ‘buy better and buy less’ and invest in some great pieces that you can have some fun with year after year.
Seven key pieces that I have had in my wardrobe for years are…
- A statement skirt - A statement skirt, this Ridley London is stunning and to be honest this transcends all seasons so a super flexible piece
- Wide leg linen trousers - here’s a great neutral pair from Maxmara
- A ‘mom jean’ – great brand I have just found is Mott & Bow
- One versatile dress – One stand out number, you can dress up and down
- Denim jacket – simple semi fitted style – this Zara one is perfect – I’ve had mine for years
- Blazer – I prefer an oversized style
- Shorts – I always have a stretch denim pair and a chino style pair to hand.
All of the above can be styled up with some simple items, with the skirt, trousers, jeans and shorts - I would wear these with a simple white t-shirt (there’s no surprise!), trainers or Birkenstocks for the day - and dress up with a sparkly tank, heel wedge espadrilles and a denim jacket for a relaxed evening with friends. Or for a 'work smart' look, just pop a blazer on.
The dress, is also super flexible from day to night, pop on your trainers or a pair of Birkenstocks, and slip on a wedge and change up your jewellery with a statement earring for the evening.
Being clever with your accessories is also a canny way to change up a simple outfit. We have some great summer items, from bags, earrings to paper Trilbys. Also, for this season we have introduced a range of cotton masks, a look that is now part of our ‘new normal’.
Why don’t you have a dig around in your wardrobe and fall in love with some of those past buys and change up their look – it’s so satisfying and fun to discover that you can bring forgotten pieces back to life.